I have to admit that number 7 on Julie Morgenstern's Spring Fling Countdown to get rid of stuff and get organized has caused me quite a bit of consternation.
We're challenged to toss:
- 7 unloved DVD’s, CDs, or VHS tapes that you haven’t listened to or watched in years
Normally, I would have no problem with that. But just recently, I converted all but a few CD box sets to digital, meaning I didn't have any CDs left to trash. I know I could have tackled my DVDs, but they're oh-so-neatly organized and alphabetized in bins. And I'd culled them recently, as well.
As for VHS, just a few weeks ago, we ditched our VCR that wasn't working any more and along with it all of our old videotapes. We're really doing well on this spring cleaning thing!
What to do? Skip #7. Naw, I couldn't do that.
Luckily, I remembered that I had some CDs in my car. So I gathered then up, transferred them to my computer and my iPod and put the CDs in the pile to go to our favorite used book and CD store.
Here's the music I transferred to digital:
- Pulp Fiction soundtrack
- Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood soundtrack
- Swingers too! soundtrack
- The Very Best of Sheryl Crow
- John Mellencamp: The Best That I Could Do
- Jennifer Daniels: An Invitation
- Eric Clapton: Timepieces
- Pink: Missundaztood
- Shrek soundtrack
- Kathleen Edwards: Failer
- Jimmy Buffett: Songs You Know by Heart (perfect for this weekend's drive to the beach)
- Pump Up the Volume soundtrack
- Swingers soundtrack
A few things went directly to the garbage:
- 2 unknown CDs I'd burned
- a cassette head cleaner
- a casette of the Sunday Philosophy Club. Who knows where the rest are?
- A CD from another audiobook, "Labyrinth"
That's 17 items today alone.
By my count, I've gotten rid of 70 unwanted, unused and useless items since starting this challenge.
In addition to those tangible items, I've also cleaned out my home email inbox -- deleting some 2,700 messages that had been languishing there. I also deleted 1,300 emails from my BlackBerry, and it's running much more efficiently now.
Keep checking back to follow my Spring Clean Countdown progress, and feel free to join the fun and post your own challenges and successes in getting clutter-free.